Highlighting what went right, and what went wrong, in this week’s crypto news analysis.Key management was in the spotlight last week as several of the biggest stories demonstrated the importance and capabilities of a single private key. Something Copper’s CEO spoke about at length during the DAS Markets conference on the 13th. (video)
Looking at the UK senior judge’s opinion about the legal validity of crypto assets, one of the more interesting points to emerge is that the statutory requirement for a signature can now be met by techniques such as private key encryption. More on that below.
Below is our weekly roundup of industry and coin specific news. If you’d like to get in touch with us about any of our products or services, we look forward to hearing from you. Just send us a note.
Latest Industry News
What a Schwab-TD Ameritrade Merger Would Mean for Crypto?
- TD Ameritrade has been allowing clients to trade bitcoin futures contracts on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) since 2018. Moreover, it owns a stake in ErisX
- Schwab, on the other hand, has not leaned in to crypto quite as much. The firm did enable clients with futures accounts to trade Cboe Bitcoin Futures on their trading platforms as far back as April 2018
UK High Court statement on legal status of crypto assets
- Cryptoassets, including but not restricted to, virtual currencies, can be treated in principle as property
- Smart contracts are capable of satisfying the requirements of contracts in English law and are thus enforceable by the courts
92% of institutional investors keep their keys on exchange
- A Binance survey asked 76 institutional investors who used its platform about their trading habits
- Exchanges, including Binance, continue to see hacks this year, while regulatory scrutiny can also see funds locked up without notice until an account owner provides personal identity data
Latest Coin News
- Price analysis: Bulls fail to defend the 23.6% support, in turn, opening the Pandora box
- Elliptic ties $400m XRP to illicit activities
- Messari claims Ripple is operating a ‘tax shelter’
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you can have the latest news delivered to your inbox every Monday morning.