Looking back at last week’s biggest news, including price analyses for BTC, ETH, and XRP.
The case for central bank digital currencies grows stronger with BIS producing an extensive report, and separately the Bank of Canada’s deputy governor saying it’s in the public interest to be prepared to issue a digital currency.
This Thursday Copper and Amun (now 21 Shares) will host an event in Zürich for those interested in learning more about structured products. There will be a brief fireside chat, followed by networking and drinks. You can reply to this email to book a ticket. [EDIT: due to public health concerns surrounding Covid-19, this event has been postponed until a future date TBD]
Below is our weekly roundup of industry and coin specific news. If you’d like to get in touch with us about any of our products or services, we look forward to hearing from you. Just send us a note.
Latest Industry News
BIS Paper Reckons With P2P Payments, Tokenised Securities, CBDCs
- In its 138-page look at what lies beyond the financial horizon, the Swiss-based institution reckoned with coming trends that may well shape tomorrow’s payments infrastructure
- BIS Head of Research Hyun Song Shin said “the pace of change and potential for disruption” have made examining new forms of payment systems a priority for policymakers
Hester Peirce’s last effort at SEC as Wilshire Phoenix BTC ETF is rejected
- In her statement, Peirce slams the SEC for its biased treatment of Bitcoin-related products with the passion of a “Bitcoin maximalist”
- She believes that this attitude — instead of protecting retail investors — deprives investors “of the ability to access bitcoin in markets within our regulatory framework”
Past Fed rate cuts suggest Bitcoin is not a safe haven asset
- In 2019, the Federal Reserve Board cut the interest rate three times, which currently sits at 175 bps. During the three cuts, bitcoin’s price did not show any significant pick-up
- However, similar to the U.S. stock market, bitcoin price has been on a downward trend in the latter half of February due to Coronavirus, currently sitting at around $8550
Latest Coin News
- Price analysis: A break past a short term trendline is needed to pave the way for gains above $230 resistance zone
- Ethereum’s DAOs continue to gain momentum
- Vitalik Buterin pans bitcoin price forecasts
Subscribe today to receive these updates directly to your inbox every Monday morning.